The Mad Housers - Donations and Merchandise
Shelters aren't built out of good intentions alone! The Mad Housers is an all-volunteer organization, so even a small donation goes a long way towards helping someone have a warm, safe place.
For reference, a hut costs about $550 with all new materials, and a Low Rider runs about $450. With donated and reused materials, we can drop those costs even further, of course. Every bit counts!
The Mad Housers will gladly accept donations of tools and materials. Here is a list of specific items that we can use.
- 18V Ryobi One+ Batteries and Impact Drivers
- Tape Measures
- Chalk Lines
- Work Gloves and Safety Goggles
- Workshop First Aid Kits
- Doors (prefer solid-core, but can reinforce hollow-core)
- Nails (16, 8 and 6 Penny)
- Wood, Drywall, or Deck Screws (3" and 1.5")
- Lumber (96" 2x4s and 3/8"-3/4" thick sheets of plywood)
- Staples (3/8" T50)
- Roll Shingle Roofing (NOT tar paper)
- Caulk and Caulk Gun
- Canisters of Great Stuff
- Exterior Paint (preferably muted or dark colors)
- Contractor Garbage Bags
- Tents (useful for emergency shelter or to test out a new site)
- Mid-weight Tarps (brown, 10x10 or larger)
- Firewood (if delivered to client site by donor)
- Personal Hygeine and First Aid/Safety Kits
Remember: Your donations, whether material or money, are tax-deductable. Please include your name and address with any donation so that we know where to send your receipt. For materials donations, please provide either a sales receipt or an estimate of the value of the materials that have been donated.
Donation pick-ups: For material donations please email email@example.com to arrange a pick-up.
Mad Housers Merchandise
Mad Houser Tee Shirts - bold, snappy, and 100% cotton. Medium, Large, or Extra Large, they're a bargain at $15. To order, send a check or money order to our mailing address, or make an online donation and specify that you'd like a tee.
We also sell other stuff - baseball caps, lunchboxes, mugs, et cetera, through cafepress. Check it out!
Shop and Donate!
You can even help the Mad Housers while you shop!
First, you can specify The Mad Housers as your charity of choice when you shop on Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com). Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice.
Second, if you shop at Kroger and have a Kroger Plus Card, you can make the Housers your Community Rewards charity. Like Smile, a portion of the money you spend at Kroger will be donated to the charity of your choice; register at kroger.com and choose the Mad Housers as your Community Rewards partner.